Friday, October 14, 2016

Story: The Adventure of Lewis without Clark

Maharaja of Indore
2016
     Deep within the Nyungwe rainforest, Lewis and Clark were on a journey together in exploration of a river that they had heard of. It runs the opposite direction of any other river in Africa. They traveled for weeks and were running short on supplies. They stopped in the shade near a riverbank to rest for the night and to count their rations.

     When Lewis had awakened, he went to the river to collect some water in his jug. Clark was shortly behind him.

     "We should continue to head East across the river," said Clark.

     Stumped, Lewis pulled out his compass and looked at Clark.

     "Clark, you must be delusional from this tiring journey. East is the other direction."

     "I believe you to be mistaken, Lewis. My compass has never led us astray. Look!" Clark brought over his compass.

     Lewis looked at the compass and gave it a rattle.

     "I think your compass has you confused. For the river runs South and the moss on those rocks grow North."

     Perplexed, Lewis and Clark then realized they had found the Nile! The river was running the opposite direction. They celebrated joyfully and danced along the riverbank. Clark bent down to drink from the water when he noticed a rock on the edge that read:

     "Traveler, we have prepared an excellent banquet for you to replenish your goods and your bodies. To obtain it you must cross the river that runs strong, pick up and shoulder the lion carved in the marble on the other side, trudge through the prickly thorns of the forest up the mountain and bring the marble to the gates of our kingdom surrounded by beasts of robust vigor."

     "Lewis, look what I have found!"

     The two read the carvings in the rock aloud.

     "I don't think this is such a good idea," said Clark.

     "But think about the adventure that lies ahead and the fortune that will come with it," said Lewis.

     Lewis was prepared for the next adventure, but Clark was afraid that this road might lead them to the end of their travels forever. They ultimately decided to go their separate ways and for Clark to return this way once he replenished his resources. Lewis and Clark had split the rations and went their separate ways. Before Clark had disappeared into the forest, Lewis stripped down and began wading his way across the Nile.

     Lewis made his way across the river successfully, picked up the marble stone and placed it upon his back to begin his journey through the forest. It was dark and creepy within the forest. It was armed with prickly thorns that cut through his clothes and wild animals rustling throughout the journey. After some miles, he rested for a moment at the bottom of the mountain. The blood and sweat had come through his clothes. Not far from where he stood, he heard the wild laughter of the hyenas closing in as the day ended. So he picked up the marble again and continued to make his way up the mountain. He was fearless and determined.

     When he reached the top of the mountain he gazed at the entrance to the palace that was promised. The marble lion on his back began to rumble. As he grew closer and closer to the gates, the lion shook harder and roared with fury. Lewis was trembled as he ran to the footsteps of the gate. Once he reached the gates, he threw the marble lion to the ground. It rattled and roared until it suddenly stopped when the gates began to open.

     People began to flood the streets from their homes to the gates. They ran toward Lewis as fast as they could. He was astonished. He begged them to explain the meaning of such honors as they took the last of his clothes off his back and dressed him in regal robes, placed gold at his feet and offered him the most precious of spoils.

     "Whenever our king dies, we place a stone across the river in hopes that one day someone with such bravery and skill will cross and accept the mission before him. Thus, we are always assured the most suitable king with fearless courage and a strong heart.

     "We, the noblemen of this city, crown you today, as our king!"

Author's Note:
     Meriwether Lewis and William Clark were commissioned by President Thomas Jefferson with a crew as the first group to explore westward across America. It was commissioned shortly after the Louisiana Purchase in 1803. Many people may not know the original purpose of their expedition was to find the most direct and practicable means of water networks for communication efforts in that time as America was expanding. 
     So for my story, I thought that it would be cool to use American people that readers would know a little bit more about. Although Lewis and Clark never explored Africa, who is to say they would have if offered? While doing some research on Lewis and Clark (LINK) I learned coincidentally of their purpose with the water networks, so I thought it was a perfect fit! 
     I stayed true to the events of the original story. There wasn't much dialogue in the original story, so I added some to create more personality of the explorers for the readers. I believe that the original story demonstrates how bravery can be rewarding. Although a lot of the stories in this book of fables were animal-related and had a lot of menacing endings, I picked one that was simple and would allow plenty to write about and explore more in depth. I kept the ending of the original story because it was a happier ending compared to my previous post and compared to the other fables.

Bibliography:

Title: The Two Travelers  from  The Tortoise and the Geese and Other Fables of Bidpai
Author: Maude Barrows Dutton

6 comments:

  1. Austin,

    I read some of Bipadi's fables last semester in Epics of India, so I am somewhat familiar with the storytelling style. I like the thematic changes you made, seeing Luis and Clark was kind of fun. Changing things like that for fun are the point of this class. Thanks so much for sharing, I look forward to reading more of your work throughout the upcoming semester.

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Austin,

    I like your idea for the story. One of the most important things to me in stories is that a reader can connect with the characters in the story, so I like that you purposefully added dialogue to bring Luis and Clark to life. I think I would have just liked to see a bit more of it, specifically in the important moment where they decide to split ways.

    Though you did show somewhat that Luis struggled in his journey to get to the mountain, I really would have liked to see more. I wonder how strongly you could make the readers feel about Luis' struggle. Could you add more description, more details that help contribute to the idea that Luis is a hero worthy of a kingdom?

    I don't think it's necessary, but I wonder what could be done about Clark's character/storyline. The story is named after both Luis and Clark, but it felt like Clark's role in the story was overshadowed by Luis'. Maybe they could meet up several years later?

    Good work so far!

    Joe Wagner

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blog layout/design is spot on. It goes perfectly with the stories you are telling. It might seem like a small piece to some people buy it really makes a huge difference when you’re trying to create an image in the reader’s mind. One of the best I’ve seen so far! You did a great job splitting up your story so it is easy to read and looks good. I would have never thought to use Luis and Clark to change the story. That was a very creative way to change the story. This is definitely one of the best stories I’ve read so far. The way you painted the story in my head was very impressive. I wonder why Clark didn’t want to go with Luis to figure out this new mystery or why they split so easily after being traveling companions for so long. It is weird how most of these fables have depressing endings. Most people like happy endings so it is strange. Anyway… Great job overall and I’m excited to read more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Austin, your portfolio looks great. This is definitely my favorite story of the bunch because it really got my imagination going. It also reminded me of the movie "The Road to El Dorado" haha. I'm still pretty curious as to why the lion began shaking. I fully expected it to come roaring to life as he neared the gates. Maybe it could be a test to prove his worthiness as King? Or maybe it could be Clark's opportunity to come back into the picture, helping him slay the mighty lion which came to life. All in all, great story. You've done really well with your blog this semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Austin! I obviously knew about the original story of Lewis and Clark, so I was really interested to see where you were going to take your story. The title of the story immediately caught my attention – we all grew up knowing them as a packaged deal, so I had a feeling your story was going to have a unique twist right off the bat. I really like how you incorporated a ton of dialogue into your story because it always makes stories more interesting for me to read, personally. Like you said, the original story did not have much dialogue, so by adding more, I was able to get a better idea of each character’s personality. Also, the way you wrote your story was really visual, so I was able to picture everything as I was reading it. Overall, I really enjoyed reading your story and I am looking forward to reading more of them!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The first thing that caught my eye was the title. I thought it was clever and intriguing. I've read one of your stories before and I was very impressed. This story was no different. It reminded me of like Indiana Jones and I thought it was a great idea to make the marble some unknown magical symbol. This story is similar to many in this class because it shows a character going through a trial and then receiving an amazing reward when it is all over. I thought you did a great job all around with this story, Austin!

    ReplyDelete